You must apply for admission to the University Graduate School. Your online application should be submitted at least two weeks before the deadline in order for your recommenders to have the opportunity to respond by the deadline. Your portfolio will not be considered if you do not submit this application. Please notify your recommenders of the deadlines.
You must provide the following information in the online application:
- Academic Program: When asked to indicate your Academic Program, please select “SOAD Fine Arts Studio MFA” in the drop down menu, then choose the Academic Plan “SOAD Fine Arts Studio MFA.” Choose one studio area that you intend to pursue: Ceramics, Digital Art, Fibers, Graphic Design, Metalsmithing & Jewelry Design, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, or Sculpture.
- Statement of intent/artist statement: Submit a written statement (500–700 words) outlining your artistic goals and interest in pursuing graduate study. This statement can be submitted electronically at the end of the online application.
- Resume: Submit a resume including exhibitions, awards, employment, and other related professional pursuits.
- Three letters of recommendation: Submit the contact information (including names, street addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses) of three people who will submit your letters of recommendation via the online application system. The online system will then email your contacts with instructions on how to submit their references online. The online recommendations should address your potential for academic success in a graduate program.
Note: International students must apply through the Office of International Services.Apply now
Your portfolio should contain 20 images that best represents your work. Images must be saved as .jpg, .png or .gif, up to 2MB each. For good image quality and fast upload, image size should not exceed 1280 x 1280 pixels at 72 dpi. Videos must be in the .flv, .mov, or .wmv format, under 20MB each.
When submitting the portfolio online, click on the “Start a New Submission” button. Then click on “M.F.A. Programs” under the “Categories” heading. Finally, click on the “Apply Now” button next to the area in which you are interested to access the application. It is possible to submit time-based work using Slideroom.com.
The cost to submit your portfolio online is $10.
Submit your portfolio online via Slideroom, an online system that accepts images and short videos. For technical assistance, please contact Slideroom directly at email@example.com.
Submit your portfolio to the area you are interested in:
Metalsmithing + Jewelry Design
The total cost for submitting the application is $65 for domestic applicants and $75 for international applicants.
The application fee comprises a $55 (domestic applicant) or $65 (international applicant) fee paid upon submission of the online IU application and a $10 fee paid upon submission of the online portfolio.
The application fees are non-refundable.
Send official transcripts from all of your undergraduate institutions attended, as well as from any graduate programs (if applicable).
The transcript must demonstrate a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
For international students, if the original documents are not in English, a verified translation must be sent with your official transcripts in your native language.
If you are in the process of completing a bachelor’s degree when you apply, a transcript showing your current enrollment in your course of study is acceptable. If admitted to IU, you must submit a final, official transcript verifying the completion of your degree and the date your degree was awarded directly to IU prior to your matriculation.
Mail official domestic transcripts to:Graduate Coordinator
Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture and Design
Fine Arts Building 132
1201 E. Seventh Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Mail official international transcripts (with English translation) to:Office of International Services
Eigenmann Hall, Room 525
1900 E. Tenth Street
Bloomington, IN 47406 USA
For domestic students: If your institution(s) can submit official transcripts electronically, please have them emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The testing service should report the TOEFL scores directly to Indiana University Bloomington.
IU’s TOEFL code is 1324.
M.F.A. English proficiency minimum score requirements:
TOEFL minimum score 90 or IELTS minimum score 7.5. Learn more about TOEFL requirements.
- If your native language is not English, we require you to take IU’s English Proficiency Examination (IEPE) upon arrival at the university to determine if you must take any English courses. Students must agree to take any English courses prescribed from the results of this examination. Fees for special part-time English courses are the same as for other courses; however, credits earned in these English courses do not meet degree requirements.
- If the results of the proficiency exam indicate that full-time work in English is required, you will be assigned to the Intensive English Program (IEP). Students enrolled in IEP do not take academic courses until they achieve adequate English proficiency. If you have serious doubts about your English ability and are not financially prepared to undertake the additional time and expense of an intensive English program here, you may consider delaying your application to a future semester.
- Finally, students who are eligible for an associate instructorship position must meet additional English language requirements including passing the Test of English Proficiency for International Associate Instructor Candidates.